Saturday, May 9, 2009

More About Life In Gabs

"T-I-A" is a common phrase around our house lately. It stands for "This Is Africa". Whenever there's anything strange, or unusual...which can be on a daily basis!!!....we just remind one another, "T I A".

For two weekends in the month of April...and one of those encompassing a 5-day stretch, we had no Internet connection. Not unusual for here. It took a bit of time for a tech to come out and fix the problem. But he finally came! And we are thankful! I am also thankful for my techie husband - who can configure a router and all that stuff. In our BK days (that doesn't stand for Burger King...but Before Kids....mmmmm....I really would enjoy a burger from Burger King right now...or McDonald's...or Wendy's....or the ULTIMATE.....CHAR-GRILL!!!!!!!! Nope - the burgers here are NOTHING like burgers in the US. We may have to make a trip down to South Africa...to Cape Town...just so we can go to the McDonald's there. LOL!!)....as I was saying, in our BK days I was a computer techie. Sadly, I've forgotten most of the stuff.

All that wasn't to complain....sorry if I sounded like I was complaining...just wanted to express a bit of the "why" I haven't posted for over a month. I have much to share...so stay tuned for more posts.


This first picture is of our girls with the gardener's children - who have been here for the past month. Their Dad just took them back home to their country. They were here while the schools in Africa were on their month break. The schools here are on a year-round schedule - from January-December. They are out mid-April to mid-May, again in August and again in December. The children's names are Modisa (mow-DEE-sa) - he's 8 years old--and his sister's name is Tebugo (teh-BOW-ha) -- she's 12 years old. The kids have a blast playing together -- riding bikes and scooters and swinging. R and B miss their playmates since they had to leave. But, they'll be back when school is out again in August. We look forward to seeing them. They are such thoughtful and appreciative kids, and they give great hugs, too!


The previous family in the house that we're living in, planted all kinds of fruit-bearing trees. Here's a pic B took of me chopping down the 1st batch of bananas. The bananas were small, and sweet. I made at least 6 batches of banana nut muffins/loaves of bread to share. I lost count. Plus, Syd took bags of the bananas to work to share. We have another banana tree in the back that is in bloom. Those bananas will be ready in about 6 months. It is so neat to have banana trees in our yard!! What a blessing. (The papaya trees are growing and growing...but the fruit isn't ready yet.) Anyone have any recipes to share for using papaya?

Another crop we were blessed to harvest was corn!! Mmmmmm. Mmmmm. Fresh corn from the garden. B was glad to help shuck the corn...but R wasn't too keen on dealing with the silks and stuff. She didn't mind eating the fresh corn though....slathered with butter. R was the photographer for us.


































Lastly, a pic B took of our little friend - whom we see sunning himself...or could be herself...not sure!...on the patio behind the house. This is "Iggy" our "pet" Iguana. We've also seen a baby Iggy around, too. Too cute....as long as they stay outside!!



I have so many more pics to share of the goings on in Gabs. I'll post again this week....barring any network issues! Check back again later this week!

1 comment:

  1. YOU HAVE BANANAS GROWING IN YOUR YARD! I have green bananas from BJs. :( And look at you shuckin' the corn...and the gardener's children look so sweet! I love to hear the stories about your adventures. Hug the girls for me!

    ReplyDelete