Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Our Visit to Thamaga Pottery

Today we FINALLY went to a place I'd been wanting to go since I heard about it....Thamaga Pottery. (Pronounced ta-MA-ha). With the handy-dandy map, and general directions in hand, we headed out to find this place. Along the way we passed a Police Station - so if we couldn't find the pottery shop, I knew the Police Station would be a good place to stop and ask for directions. No need - we found the place - and it was in the general location of where the map indicated. (By the way, there are no street signs and such to follow - just your map, general distances and 'which side of the road' the place should be.)

(Side note here ---- WAAAYYYY off topic - a company that deals with tattoos just left a voice mail on our number - for someone named Anna - to come to their store and check out the drawing for her tattoo! Times like that I wish I had answered the phone and said "Dumela, Le Kae?"(which in Setswana means "Hello. How are you?)...and freak the person out on the other end of the phone! ) Another sidenote for the sidenote - we still have our same NC phone number...VoIP.)

Back to the topic......

The girls in front of Thamaga Pottery - very nice shop!


Inside the shop



These are the pieces we are now the proud owners of:
(My mother-in-law bought the mug for S)


Close-up of the fluted edged bowl - my favorite.
(This is a medium-sized bowl - perfect for serving side dishes.)


Smaller bowl - but same blue pattern


This was the only mug. The neat thing is the shop also takes orders for specific pieces to be made. I definitely plan to go back. There are a few more pieces I had my eye on....a pitcher, platter, and more mugs.

Lastly, a photo of a thatched roof building on the same property as the pottery shop.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous pottery! I love the handmade pottery..no two pieces are exactly the same. Kinda like Anna's impending tattoo:D Thanks for the pictures...miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete