Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas in Botswana

This was our first Christmas, as a family, away from the United States. We'd been thinking about it for some time - and knew it would be 'different'. I mean, think about it.....Christmas in AFRICA!!! Where we're in a different time zone, different hemisphere, different season - different everything - from what I've always been accustomed to for Christmas.

When we arrived back in Gabs from our 5 week visit to NC, I proceeded to decorate our home with the items we had brought with us: tabletop tree (made by my mom, many years ago), nativity advent calendar, nativity set for the mantle, stockings and snowflake stocking holders.... It may have LOOKED like Christmas, but with the temps hovering around 100°F+ everyday, it didn't FEEL like Christmas.

To me, Christmas is supposed to be colder - not 120°F. You dress up in sweaters or turtlenecks - not shorts and flip-flops. You wear coats when you go outside - not sunscreen (unless you're going snow skiing!). You drink hot chocolate with marshmallows to warm up your insides. You do lots of baking to warm up the inside of your home. You play Christmas carols while you bake. You wonder if it will snow on Christmas Day. You drive around the neighborhoods and 'oooh' and 'aaah' at all the beautiful lights. None of those ‘things’ of what I’d always had were present.


THEN, my precious Savior, whose birth is the reason I celebrate CHRISTmas – oh so gently spoke to my soul. He reminded me - Christmas isn’t about the outward appearances, the weather or lights. Christmas isn’t about what the world tells me Christmas should be. Christmas IS about my soul’s celebration of God come down to Earth – in the form of a precious baby – to be born for my soul, to be crucified in my place – to conquer Death for me – and to be Resurrected because of His victory over Death. Jesus – Immanuel – God With Us – was born to die – so that I could live.


Oh, yes, Christmas was different for me outwardly this year – but my soul still rejoices in the birth of my Savior. That never changes, no matter where I am. Hallelujah!


Thank you, Precious Father, for the Gift of Your Son. The true meaning of CHRISTmas.





1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful reminder of all our hearts have to be thankful for & the real reason we celebrate Christmas. The tree came down today, but He still reigns!
    Corey will be in Guam next year at Christmas, so he (who loves COLD weather) will experience a warm one like you just had. We were thankful to have him home this year!
    Hugs to you, too, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete