Thursday, March 18, 2010

Trivia & Tidbits Thursday - Kgale Hill

If you've read any of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency novels by Alexander McCall Smith, then you've read about Kgale Hill. (kuh-HOL-ee)
If you haven't read any of these novels, I highly recommend them. The books give you a taste of what life is like in Botswana, since that is the setting for the series.

Here is a picture of Kgale Hill, taken from inside our car (in case you hadn't noticed the rear view mirror, dashboard, etc.).

This is info about Kgale Hill, taken from the Botswana Tourism web site:
"It offers a pleasant climb with breathtaking views of the Dam and city. Visitors can choose one of three well-defined routes up the hill: the steep Rusty's Route up the rocky face; the longer Transfeldt Trail up the back; and the undulating walk across the saddle to Cross Kopje. Each takes less than an hour. There is a resident troop of baboons living on Kgale and a pair of black eagles consistently nests in the craggy cliff-face just below the peak. There have also been reports of early morning sightings of leopard."

Sounds nice enough. Right? (Except for the chance of meeting up with baboons or a leopard.) As US citizens, we've been advised not to go hiking around Kgale - unless we're with a group. Apparently, we're targets for theft. I would definitely like to hike up Kgale - but only with a large group, and some body guards.

Here's a link I found of a view of the City of Gaborone, taken from Kgale Hill. At the base of the hill, you can see the top of one our shopping malls, known as the Game City Mall.

Though I don't know the names of these 'hills', or if they even have names (which I'm guessing they probably do) - here are more photos of hills just outside the city. The first time I saw these I couldn't believe the beauty. It's like having 'mini-mountains' in my backyard. Since I just love the mountains of NC - I am thankful to have these majestic views to admire.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures!! And now I want to read those books. I just finished the Yada Yada Prayer Group books (all 7) & loved them. When I started the first one, I thought they were a little "fluff"... but not so! They are really good.

    ReplyDelete