Thursday, April 15, 2010

Trivia & Tidbits Thursday - Tropic of Capricorn

During our recent trip to Serowe, to visit the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, we crossed over the Tropic of Capricorn, as noted by the road sign. We did as all good tourists do - we stopped and took pictures. And of course, we posed with the marker. That will be a nice memento for our Life in Africa scrapbook - which I've thought about.



Inscribed on the plaque are these words - in case you have trouble reading it:

"This point is on the Tropic of Capricorn, which is the most southern lattitude reached by the sun. Here the sun will be at the zenith each year on midsummer day at midday local apparent time which is on 22 December at approximately 12 minutes past twelve o'clock noon. At the above time the sun will shine directly down the tube above this notice.




My silly family. Love 'em.



Notice the black tube on top of the marker? That's the tube referenced on the plaque above.


No, I'm not saluting my husband - the Major.
I'm shielding the bright Africa sun from my eyes.

So long for now! See you here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment