Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Day Late Edition of Trivia & Tidbits Thursday

Been a bit busy here lately.....a visit from the Four-Star General of Africa Command, farewell dinners and cook outs from staff leaving this post for their next assignment.... That's quite a few dinners and such to attend. Enjoyed every one of them...but it got me sidetracked in my weekly postings. Enough whining already....here are some photos and info I hope you will enjoy. Those pics taken by my 'on staff' photographer' will be noted with her initials. She loves taking pics for me. She hasn't charged me yet. Shhhh...don't give her any ideas!

In addition to all our other fruit-bearing trees (avodaco, papaya, guava, mango, blackberry/mulberry), this year we discovered we also have a LEMON TREE in our yard. And these are BIG lemons! This is our lemon tree.

The 'lone' lemon at the top of the tree. The girls couldn't reach it. However, they did pick 11 lemons from this little tree. Yes, we'll be making fresh-squeezed lemonade. R hopes it will taste like Chick-fil-A's lemonade. She loves theirs. B wanted me to make a Lemon Meringue Pie 'like Grandma'. This girl (me) can't even begin to make a LMP like my mom. Besides, Crisco© or any other brand of vegetable shortening isn't sold here - at all - anywhere. Guess I'll have to add Crisco© to my next Amazon order.


See how big this lemon is??!! It's beside a regular teaspoon, to give you an idea of the size. These lemons have lots of 'bumps' on the skins, too. They look unusual.

Lemons on display in my Pampered Chef© Trifle Bowl, and also in my newest African acquisition, details below with more photos.


We took some business guests of my husband's to the best place in Gaborone to purchase wood carved animals......Bull and Bush Restaurant! The vendors are from Zimbabwe, and set up their merchandise for sell just outside the restaurant. We bought our 6 ft. giraffe, 'Melman', from this place. The great thing about these vendors is you can 'bargain' with them. The guys this week 'got some good deals' and are taking home some nice purchases to their families.

A pic of one of the guys, picking out an 'elephant family'. The wood carved elephants are in all sizes. They are carved from ironwood. (Photo credit RS)

The elephants. (Photo credit RS)

We also want to add a hippo to our collection. My hubby and girls both like this one with the mouth open. I think I like it okay. (Photo credit RS)

Giraffes...the ones in the back of the photo are about 4 ft tall. (Photo credit RS)

In addition to the wood items, the vendor also sells these beaded letters. At the bottom of the photo are beaded flip-flops. Too cute! See the guitars in the far left of the photo?? Those are made from aluminum cans....Fanta softdrinks, Coca-Cola, etc....even beer cans. Below the guitars are cars (VW bug style) made from the cans! Very creative! (Photo credit RS)

This warthog is kinda cute. (Photo credit RS)

Now, about my bowl! It is carved from ebony. The carvings around the bowl are of the 'Big 5' in Africa: lion, elephant, cape buffalo, rhino and leopard.

Close up of the lion carving. The detail is incredible. All hand carved from this beautiful wood! Here's the kicker....the vendor told me, "You NEED all the bowls in the set." (The bowls are available in graduated sizes.) I started off with the biggest bowl, and will work my way down. Next time I go back, I'll bargain for the rest of the set. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment