Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Traditional Botswana (Outdoor) Kitchen

The girls and I recently visited new friends from church. The family lives about 45 minutes north from us, in the town of Mochudi. The family is here on their third missionary trip from the US. They are fellow homeschoolers, and we are thrilled to have met them.

We had the joy of visiting a neighboring house in the community where they live. This is a photo of a traditional Botswana outdoor kitchen. I'm told that foods cooked here would be ones that they didn't want smelling up their house. Exactly what those foods are, I didn't get details on. Or, the outside kitchen is used in the summer months to avoid heating up the kitchen in the house.

See the black pot by the base of the tree? That's the pot used for cooking the food. The pot sits on a three-legged stand that is positioned over the fire.


The girls "in" the kitchen.


I don't know about you, but I am VERY thankful to have an oven in my home with which to prepare meals. And, for cooking outside - I'm a city girl and like to use a grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment