Thursday, February 4, 2010

Trivia & Tidbits Thursday - Plots


Plots. What a subject. Plot of a movie or book? No. Burial plot? No!

The subject for this week's post deals with address plots!

In Gaborone, each residence and business has a unique plot number. People don't generally use street names when giving their address:
1. Because not all streets have a street name sign!
2. Even the locals don't know the side street names (residences)!



When giving directions to someone, this is done by indicating "take the 3rd left after you pass the Choppies store"....

Thankfully, most homes/business have their plot number clearly posted. Some residences have nice number plates or brass numbers on their gates. Others have the plot number neatly - or not-so-neatly painted on the gate. We have a number plate on our gate...white with black numbers. I'd post a pic - but don't want to broadcast to all the world where I live! I could have taken pics of examples from other houses, but I didn't. Maybe I'll add to this post later. :-)

When I first arrived here a year ago - I didn't go ANYWHERE without my handy-dandy map/plot book. The back of the book has an index with all the plot numbers, which also gives the corresponding map number and grid. Turn to that page - get our your magnifying glass, and you're in business.

Unique plot numbers is a great idea! The other crazy thing I've discovered...the numbering system! You may be Plot 1234, with 1233 and 1235 as your neighbors.... But across the street from you are 19876, 19877 and 19875. Strange1 (To me anyway.)

T-I-A!!! And we're having a blast.













2 comments:

  1. I feel like I am learning so much from all you have shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the trivia posts..so interesting to see things done so differently.

    Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete