Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Banana Tree - My How It's Grown!

OK - this may be kind of boring for some - but to me, it is fascinating! I've never had a banana tree in my yard before ---- about 5 or 6, for that matter. The only time I'd ever seen bananas is in the grocery store in those small little bunches, or on the hat of the Chiquita banana lady (remember her?.....do you remember the song?....I remember the tune.).

Anyway - just wanted to share a few pics of one of God's amazing creations. This is beautiful to look at, and provides food for so many of our friends here. A blessing to us.


The tree - taken January 2009

One year later - January 2010


This is the 'pod', my name for the new growth.
Isn't this amazing?

The red petals open up, drop off, and reveal tiny baby bananas, ready to grow!

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful and amazing! Thank you for sharing those incredible pictures. I feel like I'm taking a field trip. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember...
    "I'm Chiquita Banana and I've come to say, bananas have to ripen in a certain way..."
    I found the commercial too!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDOI24RRAE

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool to have your own "fresh" bananas! No brown ones from the grocery. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We purchased one this year, can't wait to see it grow and produce, we have had great luck with other fruits and vegetables.

    When did you first plant your tree? How long until you got your first fruit?

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @bood1369: The trees were already planted when we moved in to the house. The gardener said it takes about a year before the tree produces.

    ReplyDelete