Thursday, February 25, 2010

Trivia & Tidbits Thursday - What IS a Patty Pan?

Last week I posted a Facebook status that I hoped our patty pans and marrows would grow. I had a few questions as to "what" those are. So, I thought I'd post some pics! While I'm at it, I'll tell you about an unusual fruit that we tried today! Keep reading.

First, the patty pans and marrows! Basically, they're squash. The taste is like that of squash in the US. However, you won't find any 'crook neck' or 'straight neck' squash here. This is as close as you'll get. The patty pans look like tiny space ships. :-) Marrows are basically small (baby) zucchini.



Mmmmm. Mmmmmm. I do like my patty pans and marrows. I usually just boil it - but it's also good steamed or roasted...or in a casserole....or stir-fried....

Now for the interesting new fruit we tried today.......................

It is called litchi. (Can also be spelled lychee.)

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:
  • 1 : the oval fruit of a Chinese tree (Litchi chinensis) of the soapberry family having a hard scaly reddish outer covering and sweet whitish edible flesh that surrounds a single large seed —called also lychee nut



A litchi up close....can you detect the 'bumps' on the skin? Interesting.


Here's a pic of a peeled litchi. Very easy to peel.


The fruit, with a pic of the seed/pit (from another litchi). There really isn't much fruit there to eat, once you take out the seed/pit.


What did we think of this fruit?
  • I'm glad we tried it.
  • I've seen them in the store and was curious about the taste.
  • I'm glad I didn't buy a large amount. (The remaining 10 or so litchis will be given to our housekeeper tomorrow. :-)
  • I don't think I'll be buying these again.
Just curious.....is there something YOU would like to know about life in Gaborone?

See you here again next Thursday.

4 comments:

  1. actually, zucchini are small marrows - a proper marrow is a really big thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know what you like better in Gabs compared to the States. Or, maybe like, when it's time to come home, what would you love to bring back with you.

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog because I always learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love learning about the food. Tell us about some more unusual foods you've encountered!

    ReplyDelete