Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cereals, Milk and Biscuits....Oh My!

I thought you might be interested in 'seeing' some of the products we use here - they are a bit different from what we are accustomed to in the US. FYI - everything here is metric - volume, distance, speed limit. Our currency is the Pula. I'll write more about that in another post.



Milk here typically is packed in 1 litre containers - and is not refrigerated. This gives the milk a longer shelf life. The girls go through one of these a day. (We do refrigerate the milk so it is nice and cold before drinking.) You can find refrigerated milk in larger containers (equivalent to about a half-gallon - but the girls don't like the taste (brand). The brand they like is Clover. Milk here does not taste quite the same as back in NC. We are thankful to have found a brand the girls like. They love their milk!


Saturday is our 'sweet cereal day'. The girls have 'regular' cereal during the week....like Corn Flakes (which is the favorite here in Gabs), or Rice Krispies or our other favorite 'Oatmeal Crisp' (which you cannot find here....so we ordered some from Amazon!). (Ordering groceries through Amazon is quite normal for us 'foreigners'.)


Coco Pops is like Coco Rice Krispies....and is R's favorite sweet cereal.


Another favorite item here in Gabs are 'biscuits', not cookies. These 'Marie Biscuits' are one of our favs. We've also found the Southern Africa version of chocolate chip cookies. A store called 'Woolworths' sells them. Just about all the products we buy are imported from South Africa.


This is another yummy cookie (biscuit)....shortbreads. Don't you just love the name??!!! Eet-sum-mor.

You won't find Keebler or other brands of crackers (like saltines) here either. The closest we've found is these...called 'Salticrax'. The name is funny...but the crackers are really good. I ate a lot of these when we first arrived...until I 'adjusted' to the different flavors in the foods and such.

As a sidenote...my Vegan friends will get a kick out of this...I am now drinking soy milk. In the States I drank lastose-free milk. Love my milk. Well, you can't find lactose-free milk here...anywhere. I've looked and looked. I did find a lactose-reduced milk. Tasted funny. Soy milk it is for me. Comes in 1 litre cartons, just like the girls. I'm glad to have found a substitute.

Thanks for reading....hope this wasn't too boring.

1 comment: