Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Slower Pace

This pic was taken of our eldest child after we arrived in Gabs - one year ago!! (She's so relaxed and carefree...the way a kid should be! No worries.) The time we've been here has been like a flash before our eyes! We have done so much, and seen so much, and met so many wonderful people - but there's still so much more we want to see and do. Our time here has been extended by a year - so we should be able to get to most of the places we want to see.

I like to reflect back on "what was I doing a year ago"...and reminisce and be sentimental and all that. A year ago I had no idea I'd enjoy living here as much as I do. At first I was sooooo homesick.....this crazy new way to drive....not knowing how to get anywhere......no Walmart...no Target....only one place that is slightly similar to a Walmart/Target...no Chick-fil-A.....all these different brands of food...different tastes of food to adjust to....having to go to 3 stores to get my grocery shopping done because one store doesn't carry all that you have on your list....learning the culture....finding a new church....not knowing a soul ....making new friends....learning how to recognize and count out a new currency....living behind a tall wall around your home...bars on your windows.....and on and on and on AND my family was no longer a 30 minute drive away ---- and my homeschool support group! .... oh how I missed them! I was also scared in the beginning. I had thoughts of "What if something happens to my husband? I'm here all alone, with my family half-way around the world!"

Now, one year later..... First, it took a short amount of time to adjust to all those things I listed. The pity party lasted a very short time and so did the fear...only a couple of days after arriving - because my Lord - Almighty God - reminded me of His promise to me. "...the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6 I love that about my God - He comforts and reassures me when I need it most. The blessings He has poured out upon us have been beyond number. We have a phenomenal church. I love to worship there. I love the singing - learning to sing praises to my Lord in the language of the Botswana people. Ke rata Modimo (I love God.) I have learned that life goes on without Walmart, Target and Chick-fil-A. (Online ordering is wonderful....especially when shipping is free. However, this does not work for Chick-fil-A. Someone should open a franchise here. ) We have made so many wonderful friends - not just through my husband's work - but through the church...and friends of their friends. These are friendships that will continue on even after we move from here. And for staying in touch with family - we have fabulous technology! I Skype with my parents weekly, and we email throughout the week.

One thing about living here that sometimes drives me nuts yet I also embrace....the slower pace. Much slower...most of the time. In general, the people of Botswana (called Batswanans when referring to the group, or Motswanan when referring to an individual) just aren't in a hurry. You don't see them rushing through the mall or the grocery store. They just stroll along. While dining at a restaurant - the server doesn't rush you out to free up his/her table for another patron. You can stay at the table as long as you'd like. If you want your bill - most of the time you have to ask for it. In the check-out line at the grocery store - the clerk makes sure to greet you, ask how you're doing and talk to your children. Always - well, most of the time - there's a warm smile to go along with the greeting. Get this - most stores close up at 1:30 pm on Saturday, and many are closed on Sunday. I remember when I was a kid that most stores were not open on Sunday. This slower pace is a good thing.

This slower pace was made evident to me when I returned to the US a few months ago for a visit. I had not truly realized just how fast paced life had been for us in the US compared to living in Botswana. As much as we loved being home - it was also good to return to this slow-paced life.

Living here is a blessing to our family. Living in another country, on another continent - what an experience! I have so much to be thankful for, and I am.

I am thankful for this season in my life - this slower pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment