Thursday, January 21, 2010

Trivia & Tidbits Thursday - Living in "Africa Time"

Those who know me, know that I'm a punctual person. I've always been that way. Arriving late to a function (unless there's good reason) is a no-no to me. My husband could tell you a funny story about that! But, I'll go ahead and give you the scoop on that one.....

When we were dating, there was a time we arrived late to an event. The event was already well under way when we arrived. So everyone knew we were late. I let my date know that I didn't want that to happen again. Being on-time is very important to me. Well..... Sometime later we had another event to attend....a surprise birthday party for a friend. We were told we needed to arrive by a certain time, so we'd be there before the guest of honor. When my date didn't show up on time to pick me up - I left without him! I left a note on the door that I'd meet him there! I don't think we had too many issues with being punctual after that. We still laugh about that. Oh - there was the time we were late for our Rehearsal for our wedding. Someone was out mountain biking with friends who came from out-of-town for our wedding. We laugh about that one, too! I digress - so back to the subject.

I wrote the other day about the relaxed pace here. That applies to being on time as well. Folks are on time - or close to it - for appointments and things like that. But when it comes to social events, they're on a different time. The girls and I learned that first-hand. We had only been here a few weeks - and were going to the soccer practice being held by our church. We thought this would be a good way for the girls to meet the other kids at the church. The starting time was 2:00. We showed up at 1:50 with chairs and snacks and drinks - all ready to go. I met the person in charge of the event. The first person didn't show up until 3:00....1 hour after the scheduled start time. The next week - we didn't show up until an hour later - and we were still the first ones to show up. After that, we were busy with other activities and didn't go back.

Another example of this 'time' thing. A friend was hosting a cookout (called a 'braai' .... rhymes with try) for some Batswanan friends. The friend (American) said the braai would start at time X. The Motswanan said, "That means I won't come until an hour later. If you want me here by time X, you need to tell me one hour earlier than time X." I know, there are people like that all over the world. But this is the norm here in Botswana. The mentality is "I'll get there when I get there." This is the culture. This is the way of life.

So now, when events start late or run late or whatever, we just say, "T-I-A". (Which stands for This is Africa).

Clock photo from: http://www.kingsrivergifts.com/store/wall-clocks-infinity-wall-clocks-c-3_22_81.html

3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at this... when we bought our mountain house, Steve was still working & loved to come up here to "get away". He would say that he could feel his blood pressure dropping as he headed up the mountain. Then when people would be "poking along" driving slower, he would get impatient, & I would have to remind him that's why we come up here (we are at the mountain house right now. G. & the kids left about an hour ago to beat the ice that was forming, since they have a Home School event tomorrow.) I'm glad you are enjoying your stay there & getting so much out of it. You are doing it the right way - seeing as much as you can while you are there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. I had no idea you were in Africa. How long have you been there? Sounds like a really neat and interesting place to live.

    I enjoy blogging too. It's such a great way to sit down and have some time to reflect on special things in your life. Stop by to visit sometime. So glad we were able to reconnect!

    Take care and many blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have solved my problem! I was wondering why I couldn't get my brain back from Christmas break...for some strange reason, I'm on Africa time. The kids and I kind of wander around the house until 10 or so, then decide that we had better start doing some school. It's very laid back, but not much is getting done!

    Love the post!

    ReplyDelete